With the Montreal Sound Map you can listen to the sound of the stream on Queen Mary Street or the sound of the traffic on the Rue De l'Esplanade. The aim of the Montréal Sound Map is to create a database archive of sound recordings from all over Montréal and anyone in Montreal can submit their own recordings.
All the submissions are placed into a browsable tagging system based on the sound source, the location (borough, neighbourhood, municipality), the date (time of day, month, day of week, year, season), the environment (park, metro, indoors, outdoors, etc…) and the recording equipment used (recording device, microphone, etc…).
All recordings are tagged on a Google Map and listed in the map sidebar. It is possible to listen to the sounds directly from the map marker.
Other Sound Maps
- Woices - a worldwide sound map
- Sound Seeker Google Map - A map of sounds from around NYC
- Puget Soundscape - A map of recorded whale sounds
- Terrasound - 'soundwalks' in Portugal, Turkey, Switzerland and California
- GeoGraffiti - a 'free verbal message board'
- MyVox - add your own voice to Google Maps