Friday, April 02, 2010

Civil War Trails on Google Maps

Pennsylvania Civil War Trails

The Pennsylvania Tourism Office is using the Google Earth browser plug-in to showcase its Civil War trails. The application allows users to explore in 3-D Pennsylvania's Civil War towns, battlefields, hallowed grounds, monuments, and museums.

Pennsylvania Civil War Trails includes a number of embedded GigaPan panoramic pictures that allow you to view historical locations in the state. The site also includes a number of other categories of map marker, including Battlefields, Hallowed Grounds, Historic Places, Historic Towns, Story Stops, State Historical Markers, Historic Monuments and Museums.

_____________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One civil war blogger panned this as I guess pointless, but I think it is a good application. I have a problem, though with the gigapan in my firefox 3.6.3 browser. When you click it opens a window and the window goes kind of nuts. It seems to switch back and forth from an initial window to another one with a vertical scroll bar though it goes so fast it is hard to tell. there is a link in the window which is hard to click on, because it is jumping around, but if you can hit it it opens the gigapan photo which seems a nice addition.

Keir Clarke said...

I saw the same bug myself. I'm not sure what would cause that.