Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Finding Points of Interest Nearby


I'm a big fan of Google's Field Trip application. Apart from Google Maps it is the only maps based app I actually have installed on my phone.

Field Trip is a great resource for finding nearby points of interest. The application runs in the background on your phone and alerts you when there is something that might be of interest to you nearby. It therefore helps you to find and learn about cool places nearby and is a great way to find out about the places you visit.

I've always wished that Field Trip was also available for the desktop. Personally I'd like to be able to preview places I'm planning to visit on Field Trip before I actually travel so that I have some idea about points of interest that I might want to visit when I arrive.

Luckily there is an alternative to Field Trip in Findery. Findery markets itself as an application which you can use to make and leave virtual notes about locations. These notes can be whatever you want, from stories, information, memories, facts or grocery lists. You can therefore use the Findery phone application to create a list of places you want to visit and include information about each of the locations and what you want to do while you are there.

Findery is also available on the desktop. This means that you can zoom in on the desktop map and preview all the notes that people have left near a location that you plan to visit. This provides a great resource for discovering interesting places to visit before you leave home. While using Findery on the desktop you can save your notes and the notes of others into 'notemaps'. Then when you visit a location you have your own notemap of all the interesting places you might want to visit.

No comments: