Sunday, November 10, 2019

New York in Black & White



Challenge number 10 in the #30DayMapChallenge is to create a black and white map. My attempt to meet this challenge is New York in 3D, an interactive map with 3D extruded buildings.

I created the 3D extruded building map style using Mapbox Studio. If you want to know how to do this the Add 3D buildings to a Mapbox Studio style tutorial is a great step-by-step guide to extruding buildings (or any other layer which includes polygons). Once I had created the style in Mapbox Studio I then simply added it to Mapbox's Fly to a location example map. This map adds a button to the map which when pressed rotates and pans the map to a different location. This provides the user with a very short aerial tour of Manhattan.

My map isn't very impressive. However, if you are a fan of monochrome maps, I recommend you check out the winners of the 2019 Monochrome Mapping Competition. The results of this competition have lots of beautiful black & white maps (and other types of monochrome map).

No comments: