Friday, November 01, 2019

How to Find Your Nearest Mountain



Topi Tjukqnov has set a 30 Day Map Challenge. The challenge is to make a different map every day during November. To help inspire cartographers Topi has also published a list of 30 different themes and functionality that your maps could include on each day.

November 1st's suggestion is 'points'.

Inspired by Closest Volcano I decided that for the first day of the #30DayMapChallenge I would create a Nearest Mountain interactive map. If you enter an address into the Nearest Mountain map then the closest mountain will be highlighted on the map. The map sidebar will list all the other peaks in the U.S. in order of distance from your address. The map also informs you how many miles away each mountain is from your address.

The data for my map comes from Open Peaks, an opensource list of mountains around the world which is available as a series of GeoJSON files. I only used the GeoJSON file for the United States (which doesn't include Hawaii for some reason). This means that my map will only work for addresses in the contiguous USA.

To create my map I simple cloned the final map in Mapbox's Build a Store Locator tutorial. I then simply switched out the GeoJSON file of stores in the original for my Open Peaks GeoJSON file of mountains in the USA.

If you want to see what everybody else has created today for the #30DayMapChallenge just have a look at the hashtag on Twitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems to be unaware that Hawaii is in the US, though I can look out my window to see the nearest mountain