Friday, May 19, 2006

Make an "Earth Sandwich" with Google Maps!


Update: Zefrank's Earth Sandwich map no longer works. You can now use the Antipode Map instead.

If the earth were a sandwich....


"..If you put a piece of bread on the ground, and somebody exactly opposite you (on the other side of the world) put a piece of bread on the ground, you would have an Earth sandwich!"
Try it out:

It turns out that Waipatiki, New Zealand and Madrid, Spain have an interesting connection with one another! :) Give it a try to see where you end up. The geo developer has placed some other good country-combos along the bottom of the map for you to check out. This tool makes it very easy to move the map around and see your "sandwich partner" as you center the map. Good fun!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is zefrank's site, not "rodney gardners"

Anonymous said...

It's not *my* site. I was just forwarding you the link. No credit to me!

It is the work of zefrank! www.zefrank.com

explorer_will said...

Cool, I'm in with a chance here and there is a near miss for mine as well!

Have a look at my sandwich....

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the dig a hole through the center of the Earth mashup.

Mike Pegg said...

Sorry ZeFrank!! I fixed things up. I assumed the person suggesting the link had created it. :)

Great Map!!

Mike.

Anonymous said...

Cool, but at the same time, disappointing for USA... from my clicks, it looks like the entire USA fits in the indian ocean bounded by south africa, australia, and antartica.

Virender Ajmani said...

yes the lower 48 would have to do with soggy sandwich

Unknown said...

to find the opposite or other side of the world, check out

http://www.othersideofworld.com