Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Tracking Tropical Storm Fengshen



Typhoon Tracking is an interactive map which shows the projected path of tropical storm Fengshen. The map combines an overlay of the storm's predicted path with a movie of how the storm appears from the Himawari-9 satellite. The predicted path was downloaded from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. The video of the storm was created using images from the Himawari-8 Real-time Web website.

I created this map to meet Day 13's 'tracking' map task in the #30DayMapChallenge I really don't like the map very much but it has taken me far too long creating this already and I haven't got any more time to spare today to improve the map. One big mistake I made in making the map was to add the storm's track to a map style in Mapbox Studio. This means that the track is part of the base-map and appears below the video layer. If I had some more time I would add the storm's track as a layer above the video layer, so that the track isn't hidden behind the video.

If I had a lot more time I might also play around with the color values in the satellite images so that the created animated video blends more seamlessly with the sea color in the background Mapbox satellite map layer.

If you want to create your own video overlay map using Mapbox GL then you should have a look at this video overlay demo map from the Mapbox GL documentation.

No comments: