Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Painting the World with Maps

 

I've been working hard on completing this painting over the last few weeks. I'm actually quite pleased with the result. This mountain landscape, which I finally finished this morning, is now ready for framing.

Actually to say I've been working on this painting for a few weeks is a slight exaggeration. It is also a slight exaggeration to call it a painting. In truth this masterpiece only took me a few seconds to create - and involved no messy paint. My mountain landscape was in fact created using the new mapping tool Stippler.


Steve Attewell has been having a lot of fun since the release of Mapbox GL's new 3D terrain view. Two weeks ago Steve released the 3D Stereoscopic Anaglyph and Crossview Map, which allows you to view a 3D map with 3D glasses - to add even more depth to Mapbox's new 3D view. Now Steve has released another impressive interactive map tool called Stippler.

Stippler turns Mapbox's 3D terrain maps into real works of art. Using Stippler you can add an artistic effect to the 3D map of any location in the world. The tool comes with seven different artistic effects, each of which subtly changes the appearance of Mapbox GL's 3D terrain view. The results can be very pleasing. At least I am very happy with some of the masterpieces I have already knocked off this morning. 

No comments: