Tuesday, February 15, 2022

How Far Can I Walk in 10 Minutes?

I try to complete a 1 hour walk every day. While I enjoy walking I do also get bored with walking the same old routes around my neighborhood. Which is why I've been using Mirumi's Walking Distance Map to find whereas I can walk within 1 hour of my home. 

The Walking Distance Map is an isochrone map which was designed to help Japanese house hunters to define a property search area within a 30 minute walk of a work location. Luckily for the rest of the world the Walking Distance Map isn't restricted to only Japanese locations. It can be used anywhere in the world and it can also be used by cyclists and car drivers as well as pedestrians.

If you enter a location into the Walking Distance Map you can view a map showing how far you can travel within a set number of minutes (max 30 mins). The map supports walking, cycling or driving. You can use the drop-down menu to select how many minutes you want for your own isochrone visualization. 

One problem with many isochrone maps is that they assume everybody walks, cycles or drives at the same speed. The Walking Distance Map has addressed this problem by allowing you to adjust your travel speed. If you click on the slide-out menu you can then enter a meters per second speed which the map will then use to calculate how far you can travel within your defined period of time.

If for some reason the Walking Distance Map doesn't work for you then you can find many more interactive travel time maps using the isochrone label on Maps Mania.

No comments: