Friday, March 17, 2023

What do you call an American with a Brain?

Q: What do you call a person from Maine with a brain?

A: A Maineiac.


Q: What do you call a person from California with a brain?

A: Lost!


Q: What do you call a person from Arkansas with a brain?

A: A Yo'all


I asked the Stanford Alpaca AI what you would call a resident of each US 'with a brain'. I was hoping for some good 'dad joke' type answers. 

For example I asked Alpaca 

"What do you call a Texan with a brain?" 

and it answered:

"A Yankee".

You can find the results for each of the 50 US states on my interactive map US State Brainiacs. If you hover over a state on the map you can see the entire joke in question and answer form displayed at the top of the map.

Unfortunately most of the answers don't really qualify as dad jokes. Before you start complaining that Alpaca gave you a different answer for your state you might want to note that I've discovered that Alpaca is inclined to often give different answers when asked the same question more than once.

Another problem with my map (apart from the poor jokes) is that the GeoJSON source I used for the state centroids doesn't appear very accurate. I did ask Aplaca to give me the coordinates for each US State. It did return a well formatted response, giving a latitude and longitude for each state. Unfortunately only about 5% of the coordinates returned by Alpaca could be considered anywhere near accurate and many weren't even located within the actual correct state.

BTW the answer to:

'What do you call an American with a brain?"

is

'A brain transplant patient'
(although I'd always thought the answer was 'A Canadian')

No comments: