Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A 20km Exclusion Zone on Google Maps

20km Exclusion Zone - Comparison Tool

Japan has ordered a 20km (12 mile) exclusion zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Those living between 20km and 30km have also been told not to leave their homes.

I've created this Google Map to show the exclusion zone around the power plant. You can also use the search option to see what a 20km exclusion zone would look like at any other location around the world.

If the center of the zone doesn't exactly match your address you can also drag the marker to the location of your choice.

I've also added 33 serious nuclear power plant accidents around the world since 1952. The data comes from a Fusion Table created by The Guardian's Data Blog.

________________

3 comments:

James said...

Nice work.

I put together a dual fusion table mashup on a similar theme: a heatmap of 175,000 earthquake epicentres going back to 1973 + every nuclear power station worldwide.

http://maptd.com/map/earthquake_activity_vs_nuclear_power_plants

Keir Clarke said...

Hi James,

That's much better than mine. I'm going to write this up. Thanks!

Winston said...

Thanks for this initiative. As a matter of fact, when I read news, I couldn't visualize where that 20km range exclusion zone. I researched in Google the 20 km exclusion zone and I found your post. Thanks 'cause I've already learned.