Monday, February 20, 2012

Your Twitter Friends on Google Maps


Twitter Friends Map lets you view the people you follow on a Google Map. Once you connect the map with your Twitter account you can view the locations of all the people you follow on Twitter.

The map includes a novel marker clustering solution. Clusters of your friends are shown by a number within a white circle marker. If you mouse-over the marker it expands to display the profile pictures of your friends.

If you like the map or the marker clustering solution you can view the code on gihub.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I did this it showed that the council road gritting department in Somerset, England, is apparently in California.

Ellie K said...

Some of the results are surprising, but I don't think they are necessarily incorrect. I would feel differently if I had seen anything totally anomalous e.g. a Somerset, England council road gritting dept appearing in California.

I did find that a few of my Twitter friends were located in different countries than I thought, or more commonly, used proxy servers or similar for better internet connectivity. No harm done in either case.

Thank you for this post, Google Maps Mania! I really enjoyed using it to map my Twitter friends...wish I had seen it sooner.

human mathematics said...

Fun. I would have liked to see the marks sized by how much we actually interact (favourites, RT's, mentions) . But thanks to the developer/s anyhow.