Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where is the Path?

Where is the Path

Despite the introduction of walking directions to Google Maps sometimes you still need to look elsewhere. In the UK Google Maps are still not mapping public footpaths. That is why I frequently use Where is the Path, which displays Google Maps alongside the corresponding Ordnance Survey Maps.

Today I am going to take a steam train from Royal Tunbridge Wells to Groombridge, in the south of England, and then hopefully walk back on public footpaths to Royal Tunbridge Wells. Google Maps walking directions suggests I take a long detour and walk along some very busy roads whilst ignoring the very attractive and more direct public footpaths to my destination. Luckily I can use Where is the Path to find those public footpaths. Where is the Path have now added the Google Earth Browser plug-in so I can also scope out the route using Google Earth's added functionality.

Where Google Maps comes into its own however is in searching for points of interest along my route. Where is the Path has shown me the public footpaths and Google Maps has highlighted a stone age settlement and a couple of attractive pubs on the route. The weather forecast for this area of Kent today is frequent showers. Thanks to Google I will probably be spending the better part of the day in The Beacon Bar & Restaurant or if the weather is fine I will be getting my rocks off (which I presume is what you do in a stone age settlement).

The video below demonstrates Where is the Path's new Google Earth browser option:



Via: Mapperz and Ogle Earth

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - you're hurting me!!!

As someone who grew up about 1,000 yards from the Beacon, you need to do a couple of things for me:

1. It's Royal Tunbridge Wells, not Tonbridge Wells. Tonbridge is a different town entirely, 7 miles up the road.

2. You're in Kent, not Sussex! Sure, Groombridge actually straddles the border between the counties, so you could be in either when you're there, but Rusthall and The Beacon are definitely in the Garden of England!

Have a great time. They do some great food there, and the view out the back with a Magners in your hand on a sunny day is perfect.

steeleweed said...

FYI: whatever it may mean in British English, "getting one's rocks off" has a rather scatological meaning in American English.

Keir Clarke said...

@Anonymous

1. I found this out the hard way this morning by spending ten minutes swearing at the ticket machine at Charing Cross for not having heard of Tonbridge Wells.

2. I've no no idea why I thought it was Sussex.

I've corrected both errors in the post. I actually ended up getting caught in the most amazing hour long torrential downpour and ended up in the first pub we came to which was the High Rocks Hotel. I'll have to do The Beacon next time.

@steeleweed - my urban dictionary has a couple of definitions for 'getting your rocks off'. I can assure you I was referring to 'having a really good time.' There were far too many people around to consider anything else.

Anonymous said...

The High Rocks is a good place to get stuck! Thanks for correcting, and hope you had fun regardless of the weather!

Anonymous said...

There is no such thing american English.... just English... the awful truth that it's bastardised as it travels westwards.