Thursday, March 31, 2016

Funky Town Comes to Google Maps

This year's April Fools joke on Google Maps seems to have got off to a bit of a low key start.

For all of today Pegman has been dressed up in his finest funky clothes. He has been wearing a purple suit and has been sporting a rather fine beard. Searching the Google Maps html code reveals that the pegman image has been named 'funkytown', providing a little clue as to what Google Maps has in store for April Fools Day.


In desktop Google Maps I'm now also getting a message telling me to visit Funky Town in the Google Maps app. When I send this to my tablet it fills in the search bar in Google Maps with the words 'Won't you take me to Funky Town'.

A message then appears saying 'No results for won't you take me to Funky Town'. I guess Google isn't ready to get down with me just yet.

Some Google Maps users however are getting results and are being rewarded with a little animation of Pegman getting funky on the dance floor.


Hopefully there will be more to come from the new funky Google Maps when April Fools Day properly arrives.

No comments: