Wednesday, July 02, 2014

The Grand Theft Auto Satellite Map


I've been spending a lot of my time this week looking for base map tile layers. After finding this Guild Wars 2 map tiles API I seem to have taken a serious detour in my quest for a good map tile layer for my current project. Instead I have been sidetracked into hunting out ever more obscure map tile layers from computer game worlds.

This Interactive GTA V Glitch map has created a Google Map of Los Santos. The map contains locations where you can discover glitches in the game and even includes videos of how to replicate the glitches. What really impresses me however is that the map contains three sets of base map tiles and you can switch between 'road' and 'atlas' views and even a satellite view of Los Santos.

At the other end of the computer gaming world is the platform game Metroid. Metroid Maps has created Google Maps for Metroid I, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission. There isn't really much else to add about these simple maps, although they do have dynamic map links so you could share a link to a desired location on one of the maps if you wanted.

If you want to explore other game world base map tiles then have a search through the games tag on Google Maps Mania.

No comments: