Sound Tourism bills itself as 'A Travel Guide to Sonic Wonders'. The site claims that normal travel guides are dominated by the visual experience, describing beautiful vistas, eye-catching art and iconic architecture whilst ignoring the aural experience of places.
Sound Tourism has set out to address that gap by creating a map of locations around the world where you can hear great sounds. Sounds are shown on the map with categorised map markers. The colour of the marker reflects whether the location is 'worth a journey', 'worth a detour' or 'interesting'.
As well as the map view you can navigate to sounds by tag or load all the sounds from a particular location by selecting it from a drop down menu.
Via: Spatial Analysis
Other Sound Maps
- UK SoundMap - survey of UK sounds from the British Library
- Open Sound New Orleans - New Orleans sound map
- Tactical Sound Garden - Tactical Sound Garden has created 'sound gardens' in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, San Diego, CA and Zurich, Switzerland.
- Radio Aporee - Sounds recorded around the world and presented on a Google Map.
- Montreal Sound Map - Sounds from Montreal